On the Northeast corner of 4th and DuBios where the fire company now sits, was Elsberry’s first Elementary school. It was built in 1883 and was a two-story school. During its first 2 years it was a private academy open 10 months per year at $2.00/month tuition! After that, it became a public school and was open six months per year and it was free to students. On the Southeast corner in an empty lot. But, it is the site of the very first new residence built in the town of Elsberry. It was built by James Gentry.